ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:21:36 GMT
Hi Marcel and the others,

+1 about that.

I'm pretty busy with Karaf 3.0.0, but I will take a look on latest
changes tomorrow.

Regards
JB

On 11/13/2013 10:17 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the ACE project. We’ve
rewritten the complete management agent, added quite a few features to the server and squashed
bugs. With all of this work done I feel we should start working towards a new release now,
but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if there are things we forgot about that
really need to make it into a new release.

> One thing I would like to do is to upgrade to the latest Bndtools 2.2.2 version and enable
support for baselining. Baselining will give us a lot of tool support to ensure our code (bundles
and exported packages) is semantically versioned. To leverage baselining support there are
a couple of things we need to do:

>   * We need the to start putting @ProviderType and @ConsumerType annotations on all our
APIs. In fact, we need to “retrofit” this to our 1.0.0 release to ensure the baselining
works correctly. These annotations are not magically available, but we can add them to the
global build path (cnf/ext/defaults.bnd).

>   * We need to keep a copy of all released bundles (the latest version of each) in a
repository to baseline against. Because we don’t want our build to break when we’re off-line
I propose we put them in a local repository. We probably need to build those artifacts with
the Eclipse compiler to prevent problems that will otherwise occur because of differences
between ecj and javac so: checkout with Eclipse, build, collect all bundles from "generated"
folders and publish them into the releaserepo in cnf. We also want to add them to the -deps
artifact so people can easily get started with a release with baselining enabled.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org