ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Analysis for updating the MA
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:20:06 GMT

On 8/1/13 3:48 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On the wiki I created a document that provides an analysis of how
> we could design an update mechanism for the management agent, as
> described in ACE-342 [2]. I would love to hear your feedback on
> this!

I understand the need for updating the MA, but I'm somewhat reluctant
to create a separate update mechanism for this as stated in option A.
Why should the update of the MA bundle be different than for other
bundles (assuming the MA is running as plain bundle instead of being
embedded in the OSGi framework)? Isn't the whole point of ACE that it
reliably can update bundles inside an OSGi environment using
deployment packages? Why cannot this work for the MA bundle as well?

The negative point of updating "...just the management agent trigger
an update of the target, which conceptually messes up the version
number." for options B & C does, IMO, not hold. It suggests that the
MA is not part of the installed software base on a target, which is
strange because we do want to update the MA in a similar was as the
other installed software. Yes, the deployed software is normally not
affected by an upgrade of the MA, nor is it aware that there is a MA,
but still we would like to answer the question in what version of a
deployment package runs with what version of the MA.

So, in conclusion, I would opt for option B.

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around PulseOn and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
J.C. Wilslaan 29
7313 HK   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 30