ace-dev mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working towards a new release...
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:16:46 GMT
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As we promised in our last board report, we are working towards a release of ACE (I propose
to call that 1.0). To start working towards that, I would like to start by asking everybody
if there are blocking issues that, according to them, have to be fixed before we can cut a
release? If so, this is the time to discuss them!

> Also, there are a couple of things we still need to address. I tried to make a list,
and as soon as we agree on them I will convert that to issues, link them to a version in Jira
so we have a goal to work towards.

> My list:
>
> * Make sure all bundles are versioned as 1.0
> * Make sure all exported packages are versioned as 1.0
> * Complete all relevant bundle headers / metadata
> * Ensure that src-build.xml and bin-build.xml work and that we can do a "source only"
release.
> * Finish release guide (ACE-106)
> * Review and improve NOTICE and LICENSE (ACE-211)
> * Release autoconf, deploymentadmin in Apache Felix and use these new releases instead
of the SNAPSHOTs we use now.
> * Update our website: everything under user, some dev pages and (see above) release guide

Great! I will start by taking a crack at ACE-211 and browsing the open
issues for potential show stoppers.

> An issue to discuss:
>
> We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because we have one unit test
that uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what
it would mean to release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal regarding this
is still open. We have two options: a) remove BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't
release one test and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from legal
and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

If feel the jclouds nodelauncher stuff is not really at the core of
what ACE is about (yet). For that reason I propose to simply keep it
out of the release at this point.

Regards,
Bram