ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Working towards a new release...
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:17:10 GMT

On 4/18/13 4:17 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:

> An issue to discuss:
>
> We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because
> we have one unit test that uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds
> uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what it would mean to
> release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal
> regarding this is still open. We have two options: a) remove
> BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't release one test
> and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from
> legal and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

If it would only be used for (unit)tests, then I would propose to move
it out of the trunk into a sandbox. However, as it is also used for
the cloud-support in ACE, I'm not in favor of removing all
crypto-related code. We do want to have jclouds support built into ACE
sooner or later, so we might well take the "pain" now.

There has been some discussion on the legal-discuss ML about how to
proceed, see
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.legal.discuss/2254> and
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.legal.discuss/2349> for
an overview. There is also a JIRA issue about this as well:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-145>.

IIRC, the situation is that adding a clause for Apache ACE on the
legal exports-page *should* be sufficient. However, I still haven't
had confirmation about this, perhaps any of the PMCs can ping legal again?

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around PulseOn and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
J.C. Wilslaan 29
7313 HK   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 30