ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Working towards a new release...
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:17:48 GMT
Hi all,

As we promised in our last board report, we are working towards a release of ACE (I propose
to call that 1.0). To start working towards that, I would like to start by asking everybody
if there are blocking issues that, according to them, have to be fixed before we can cut a
release? If so, this is the time to discuss them!

Also, there are a couple of things we still need to address. I tried to make a list, and as
soon as we agree on them I will convert that to issues, link them to a version in Jira so
we have a goal to work towards.

My list:

* Make sure all bundles are versioned as 1.0
* Make sure all exported packages are versioned as 1.0
* Complete all relevant bundle headers / metadata
* Ensure that src-build.xml and bin-build.xml work and that we can do a "source only" release.
* Finish release guide (ACE-106)
* Review and improve NOTICE and LICENSE (ACE-211)
* Release autoconf, deploymentadmin in Apache Felix and use these new releases instead of
the SNAPSHOTs we use now.
* Update our website: everything under user, some dev pages and (see above) release guide

An issue to discuss:

We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because we have one unit test that
uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what it
would mean to release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal regarding this
is still open. We have two options: a) remove BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't
release one test and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from legal
and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

Greetings, Marcel