ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Repository Integration Plan with existing tools
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 07:24:30 GMT
Hello John,

I think we might be talking about two different things here.

Internally, Apache ACE uses a couple of Repository services to store and retrieve its information
(definition of artifacts, features, distributions and targets). The API for them is:

public interface Repository {
    public SortedRangeSet getRange() throws IOException;
    public boolean commit(InputStream data, long fromVersion) throws IOException, IllegalArgumentException;
    public InputStream checkout(long version) throws IOException, IllegalArgumentException;
}

These repositories are now implemented with a backend store that simply stores each "blob"
on the filesystem. This is what I was talking about when replying to Taran (and I hope I did
not misunderstand the original question).

The OBR is a different story. There I totally agree with you that we should be able to pull
artifacts from any of the existing repositories out there (Artifactory, Nexus, ...). For ACE,
an artifact is a bunch of metadata and a URL, so you can in fact already directly refer to
artifacts in any repository. Some nice UI for that would be welcome though.

Greetings, Marcel

On Aug 12, 2012, at 2:18 AM, John Dunlap wrote:

> IMHO it would make considerably more sense to use the sonatype aether api to pull artifacts
directly from maven repositories instead of using a source control system to deliver binary
artifacts. That's my two cents, for whatever it is worth.

> Sent from my Samsung Captivate(tm) on AT&T
>
> Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hello Taran,
>>
>> Actually, when we designed the API for the repositories (this was before the project
was donated to Apache) we actually had a discussion about implementing them with Git. This
was over five years ago though, when there was no Java implementation of Git, nor such wide
adoption. However, the API is simple enough to easily implement in either Git or some other
version control system and doing so might give you a lot of benefits, such as free replication,
etc.

>> We definitely would not mind a contribution of an alternative implementation in this
area!

>> Greetings, Marcel
>>

>> On Aug 10, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Taranbir Singh - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
>>
>>> Currently ACE manage the repositories on filesystem.
>>>
>>> Just want to check if there are any plans to integrate the repository feature
of ACE with existing tools like GIT, SVN etc ?