ace-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merging projects
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:21:35 GMT
Hi,

2012/7/15 Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl>:
> You no doubt have followed the recent discussions within Apache about doing releases
and how source releases are the only "official" ones (since consensus was that voting on binary
releases made little sense as they're hard to review).

> I think it is therefore probably a lot easier to go to a single source release of ACE
as a whole. Within that source release we will then have multiple bundles, and each is versioned
independently. The same goes for exported packages. We actually use "packageinfo" files in
exported packages to ensure consistent versioning of those. So of course not everything will
change every release. I see this in a similar way to for example a release of the OSGi specifications:
there is an R4.2, R4.3, etc but within that release, some specs and packages will have changed,
others might not.

> After voting on a source release we still intend to provide binaries of course, and we
only need to make available bundes that have changed. At the same time, we also want to provide
binaries of a complete ACE server for example, and maybe others.

Hmm, but wouldn't that mean that we have to do a full (source) release
for a simple module fix?

Regards
Carsten

--