ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Merging projects
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:31:21 GMT
The migration to Bndtools is coming along nicely. Both the server and target are running, and
we have all unit and integration tests working. One of the next steps is to provide a better
overview in Eclipse by merging some related bundles into one project. The rationale is that
at development time, we want to provide a "development view" of the project that helps developers
when they're working on the codebase. In my opinion, and according to the "4+1 view" [1],
this does not necessarly mean that this "development view" is the same as the "deployment
view". In other words, there is no need to maintain a 1 on 1 mapping between a project in
the development view and a bundle in the deployment view.

Therefore we (I worked on this list with Jan Willem) propose to merge some of the projects
to go from about 90 to about 30 projects (which gives a better overview in Eclipse). You should
read this list as follows. The first line is the project name, any next (indented) line is
a project that is merged into this new one. So for example, looking at the first one, we propose
to make an "org.apache.ace.authentication" project that contains 5 existing projects. Sometimes
in the process, we need to rename or move some packages, and things like that we indicate
with an "->" arrow plus a new name or destination.

org.apache.ace.authentication
org.apache.ace.authentication -> .impl
org.apache.ace.authentication.api
org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.basicauth
org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.clientcert
org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.password

org.apache.ace.authentication.itest

org.apache.ace.configurator
org.apache.ace.configurator -> .impl
org.apache.ace.configurator.serveruseradmin
org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.task

org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.itest

org.apache.ace.connectionfactory

org.apache.ace.consolelogger

org.apache.ace.deployment.provider
org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.api
org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.base
org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.filebased -> @sandbox
org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.repositorybased
org.apache.ace.deployment.servlet -> provider.servlet
org.apache.ace.deployment.streamgenerator -> provider.streamgenerator
org.apache.ace.deployment.verifier -> provider.verifier
org.apache.ace.deployment.verifier.ui -> provider.verifier.ui

org.apache.ace.deployment.itest

org.apache.ace.http.redirector
org.apache.ace.httplistener -> @deprecated, replace it by the Felix Whiteboard

org.apache.ace.http.itest -> @deprecated as well, see above

org.apache.ace.integrationtests -> removed

org.apache.ace.itest -> org.apache.ace.test, merge with util-test project

org.apache.ace.location.upnp -> @sandbox, nice example but not necessarily something we
want to ship

org.apache.ace.log.server
org.apache.ace.log.servlet -> log.server.servlet
org.apache.ace.log.task -> log.server.task
org.apache.ace.server.log.store -> log.server.store
org.apache.ace.server.log.ui -> log.server.ui

org.apache.ace.log.itest -> log.server.itest

org.apache.ace.nodelauncher
org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.amazon
org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.api
org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.ui

org.apache.ace.processlauncher -> add main() method to make it standalone

org.apache.ace.range.api

org.apache.ace.repository
org.apache.ace.repository.api
org.apache.ace.repository.ext
org.apache.ace.repository.impl
org.apache.ace.repository.servlet
org.apache.ace.repository.task

org.apache.ace.repository.itest

org.apache.ace.resourceprocessor.useradmin -> split off to a resource processor (can be
moved to sandbox and one for the configurator)

org.apache.ace.server.action -> remove!!
org.apache.ace.server.action.popupmessage -> remove!!

org.apache.ace.util, split off test to org.apache.(i)test and embed other classes in other
bundles.

org.apache.ace.webui.vaadin
org.apache.ace.webui.vaadin -> .impl
org.apache.ace.target.mgmt.ui -> webui.vaadin.target.ui ofzo
org.apache.ace.tageditor -> webui.vaadin.tageditor

org.apache.ace.obr
org.apache.ace.obr.metadata
org.apache.ace.obr.servlet
org.apache.ace.obr.storage

org.apache.ace.client.automation

org.apache.ace.client.repository
org.apache.ace.client.repository.api
org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.base
org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.bundle
org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.configuration
org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.user
org.apache.ace.client.repository.impl

org.apache.ace.client.repository.itest

org.apache.ace.client.rest

org.apache.ace.managementagent

org.apache.ace.launcher

org.apache.ace.discovery
org.apache.ace.discovery.api
org.apache.ace.discovery.property
org.apache.ace.discovery.upnp -> @sandbox

org.apache.ace.identification
org.apache.ace.identification.api
org.apache.ace.identification.ifconfig -> @sandbox
org.apache.ace.identification.property

org.apache.ace.log

org.apache.ace.log.target
org.apache.ace.gateway.log -> rename: log.target, split log and task
org.apache.ace.gateway.log.store -> rename: log.target.store
org.apache.ace.log.listener -> log.target.listener

org.apache.ace.scheduler
org.apache.ace.scheduler -> .impl
org.apache.ace.scheduler.api

org.apache.ace.deployment.target
org.apache.ace.deployment.api -> target.api
org.apache.ace.deployment.deploymentadmin -> target.deploymentadmin
org.apache.ace.deployment.task -> target.task
org.apache.ace.deployment.task.base -> target.task.base

Greetings, Marcel

[1] http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~gregor/teaching/papers/4+1view-architecture.pdf