ace-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merging projects
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:49:37 GMT
Hi,

Just out of curiosity and looking from the outside ...

I wonder how per-bundle releases would work when merging the projects ? Or isn't this intended
at all ?

Also, since the developer's view of merged project in Eclipse is probably a single Eclipse
project, the developer sees everything inside the Eclipse project, right ?

So, how can it be ensured that when the bundles are created there is no undue import -- e.g.
of an implementation package of another bundle within the same Eclipse project ?

Regards
Felix

Am 13.07.2012 um 01:31 schrieb Marcel Offermans:

> The migration to Bndtools is coming along nicely. Both the server and target are running,
and we have all unit and integration tests working. One of the next steps is to provide a
better overview in Eclipse by merging some related bundles into one project. The rationale
is that at development time, we want to provide a "development view" of the project that helps
developers when they're working on the codebase. In my opinion, and according to the "4+1
view" [1], this does not necessarly mean that this "development view" is the same as the "deployment
view". In other words, there is no need to maintain a 1 on 1 mapping between a project in
the development view and a bundle in the deployment view.

> Therefore we (I worked on this list with Jan Willem) propose to merge some of the projects
to go from about 90 to about 30 projects (which gives a better overview in Eclipse). You should
read this list as follows. The first line is the project name, any next (indented) line is
a project that is merged into this new one. So for example, looking at the first one, we propose
to make an "org.apache.ace.authentication" project that contains 5 existing projects. Sometimes
in the process, we need to rename or move some packages, and things like that we indicate
with an "->" arrow plus a new name or destination.

> org.apache.ace.authentication
> org.apache.ace.authentication -> .impl
> org.apache.ace.authentication.api
> org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.basicauth
> org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.clientcert
> org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.password
>
> org.apache.ace.authentication.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.configurator
> org.apache.ace.configurator -> .impl
> org.apache.ace.configurator.serveruseradmin
> org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.task
>
> org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.connectionfactory
>
> org.apache.ace.consolelogger
>
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.api
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.base
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.filebased -> @sandbox
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.repositorybased
> org.apache.ace.deployment.servlet -> provider.servlet
> org.apache.ace.deployment.streamgenerator -> provider.streamgenerator
> org.apache.ace.deployment.verifier -> provider.verifier
> org.apache.ace.deployment.verifier.ui -> provider.verifier.ui
>
> org.apache.ace.deployment.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.http.redirector
> org.apache.ace.httplistener -> @deprecated, replace it by the Felix Whiteboard
>
> org.apache.ace.http.itest -> @deprecated as well, see above
>
> org.apache.ace.integrationtests -> removed
>
> org.apache.ace.itest -> org.apache.ace.test, merge with util-test project
>
> org.apache.ace.location.upnp -> @sandbox, nice example but not necessarily something
we want to ship

> org.apache.ace.log.server
> org.apache.ace.log.servlet -> log.server.servlet
> org.apache.ace.log.task -> log.server.task
> org.apache.ace.server.log.store -> log.server.store
> org.apache.ace.server.log.ui -> log.server.ui
>
> org.apache.ace.log.itest -> log.server.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.amazon
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.api
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.ui
>
> org.apache.ace.processlauncher -> add main() method to make it standalone
>
> org.apache.ace.range.api
>
> org.apache.ace.repository
> org.apache.ace.repository.api
> org.apache.ace.repository.ext
> org.apache.ace.repository.impl
> org.apache.ace.repository.servlet
> org.apache.ace.repository.task
>
> org.apache.ace.repository.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.resourceprocessor.useradmin -> split off to a resource processor (can
be moved to sandbox and one for the configurator)