ace-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Bakker <paul.bak...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Merging projects
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:02:30 GMT
I agree that it's fine to have a different view during development and deployment. In BndTools
the mapping is still pretty clear anyway, because the sub-bnd files map directly to bundles.
It's not strictly necessary to merge projects into one, you could just use working sets to
achieve the same view, but merging them has the extra benefit that there is less configuration
for the build path.

+1 for merging, and +1 for the proposed list of projects :-)

Paul

On Jul 13, 2012, at 1:31 , Marcel Offermans wrote:

> The migration to Bndtools is coming along nicely. Both the server and target are running,
and we have all unit and integration tests working. One of the next steps is to provide a
better overview in Eclipse by merging some related bundles into one project. The rationale
is that at development time, we want to provide a "development view" of the project that helps
developers when they're working on the codebase. In my opinion, and according to the "4+1
view" [1], this does not necessarly mean that this "development view" is the same as the "deployment
view". In other words, there is no need to maintain a 1 on 1 mapping between a project in
the development view and a bundle in the deployment view.

> Therefore we (I worked on this list with Jan Willem) propose to merge some of the projects
to go from about 90 to about 30 projects (which gives a better overview in Eclipse). You should
read this list as follows. The first line is the project name, any next (indented) line is
a project that is merged into this new one. So for example, looking at the first one, we propose
to make an "org.apache.ace.authentication" project that contains 5 existing projects. Sometimes
in the process, we need to rename or move some packages, and things like that we indicate
with an "->" arrow plus a new name or destination.

> org.apache.ace.authentication
> org.apache.ace.authentication -> .impl
> org.apache.ace.authentication.api
> org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.basicauth
> org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.clientcert
> org.apache.ace.authentication.processor.password
>
> org.apache.ace.authentication.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.configurator
> org.apache.ace.configurator -> .impl
> org.apache.ace.configurator.serveruseradmin
> org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.task
>
> org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.connectionfactory
>
> org.apache.ace.consolelogger
>
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.api
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.base
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.filebased -> @sandbox
> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.repositorybased
> org.apache.ace.deployment.servlet -> provider.servlet
> org.apache.ace.deployment.streamgenerator -> provider.streamgenerator
> org.apache.ace.deployment.verifier -> provider.verifier
> org.apache.ace.deployment.verifier.ui -> provider.verifier.ui
>
> org.apache.ace.deployment.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.http.redirector
> org.apache.ace.httplistener -> @deprecated, replace it by the Felix Whiteboard
>
> org.apache.ace.http.itest -> @deprecated as well, see above
>
> org.apache.ace.integrationtests -> removed
>
> org.apache.ace.itest -> org.apache.ace.test, merge with util-test project
>
> org.apache.ace.location.upnp -> @sandbox, nice example but not necessarily something
we want to ship

> org.apache.ace.log.server
> org.apache.ace.log.servlet -> log.server.servlet
> org.apache.ace.log.task -> log.server.task
> org.apache.ace.server.log.store -> log.server.store
> org.apache.ace.server.log.ui -> log.server.ui
>
> org.apache.ace.log.itest -> log.server.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.amazon
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.api
> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.ui
>
> org.apache.ace.processlauncher -> add main() method to make it standalone
>
> org.apache.ace.range.api
>
> org.apache.ace.repository
> org.apache.ace.repository.api
> org.apache.ace.repository.ext
> org.apache.ace.repository.impl
> org.apache.ace.repository.servlet
> org.apache.ace.repository.task
>
> org.apache.ace.repository.itest
>
> org.apache.ace.resourceprocessor.useradmin -> split off to a resource processor (can
be moved to sandbox and one for the configurator)