ace-dev mailing list archives

From Angelo van der Sijpt <angelo.vandersi...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the build to BndTools
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:09:05 GMT
Hi list,

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would definitely like to reduce the number of projects: we
have a number of api-only projects, with Maven's one-artifact-per-project setup, it would
be nice to categorize projects by what they do, and 'carve up' the class space in that project
in any way we see fit.

Also, I have been using BndTools for quite a while now, and really like the developer experience.

That's a +1 from me!

Angelo

On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi Marcel,
>
> as discussed this morning, it sounds like a good idea. I took a look on BndTools and
it's interesting, fast, and stable (regarding the small tests that I did ;)).

> I would be glad to help around that !
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 06/28/2012 10:37 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When ACE entered the incubator a few years ago, we were using a highly customized
Ant based build. At that time, as a community we decided that it would be easier to get started
with ACE if we moved the build to Maven.

>> Now, I think we have arrived at a point where we need to revisit that decision and
consider moving to BndTools [1].

>> Probably the biggest reason for migrating from Maven to BndTools is to speed up and
simplify development. In case you're not familiar with BndTools, it is an Eclipse plugin that
provides an OSGi development environment based on Bnd. Compared to other environments, it
is really fast. As soon as you hit "save" on one of your source files, a new version of your
bundle is created and deployed, making any changes almost "instant". Bundles themselves are
defined using "bnd" files and the plugin provides nice editors for those, as well as many
different abstractions to talk to external repositories through OBR. There are many other
advantages, such as tooling to help us correctly use semantic versioning throughout our project
and easy ways to run and debug different bundle configurations. Headless builds are supported,
as are unit and integration testing. An interesting twist is that deploying directly to ACE
itself is also supported, so we as a project integrate nicely with this environme
> nt.
>>
>> Another reason to move is that it could make our release process a lot simpler. Recent
discussions within Apache about what constitutes an official release have emphasized that
only source releases are "official" Apache releases and that those are the ones we should
vote on. Afterwards we can obviously still make binary releases available, and I think in
the case of ACE we should. During our releases in the incubator we have tried to strike a
balance between doing "big bang" and "component" releases, setting up everything in such a
way that we could do both. This has proven to be very complicated and doing releases was painful.
With BndTools we can create one source archive that can be used "out of the box" to build
everything and since this embeds all bundle and package versions we can decide to only bump
those if something actually changes. For convenience we can then still provide both separate
artifacts for Maven as well as shrink-wrapped binaries that can be used out of the box