ace-dev mailing list archives

From Rafał Krzewski <rafal.krzew...@caltha.pl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the build to BndTools
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:48:40 GMT
I'd strongly advise against it. Having single project - single binary
relationship makes a project easier to comprehend and manage.
Also, having small, focused and cohesive modules is IMO the whole point
of modularity. By extension, a complex application will have many of them.
There are ways to cope with that in Eclipse - Working Sets (which may be
used as top level entries in project explorer) for starters, and also
Mylyn Task focued UI.
In order to overcome complexity you need to embrace it. Attempts to hide
it will backfire one way or the other.

regards,
Rafał

On 06/28/2012 11:09 AM, Angelo van der Sijpt wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me. I would definitely like to reduce the number of projects:
we have a number of api-only projects, with Maven's one-artifact-per-project setup, it would
be nice to categorize projects by what they do, and 'carve up' the class space in that project
in any way we see fit.

> Also, I have been using BndTools for quite a while now, and really like the developer
experience.

> That's a +1 from me!
>
> Angelo
>

> On Jun 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcel,
>>
>> as discussed this morning, it sounds like a good idea. I took a look on BndTools
and it's interesting, fast, and stable (regarding the small tests that I did ;)).

>> I would be glad to help around that !
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 06/28/2012 10:37 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When ACE entered the incubator a few years ago, we were using a highly customized
Ant based build. At that time, as a community we decided that it would be easier to get started
with ACE if we moved the build to Maven.

>>> Now, I think we have arrived at a point where we need to revisit that decision
and consider moving to BndTools [1].

>>> Probably the biggest reason for migrating from Maven to BndTools is to speed
up and simplify development. In case you're not familiar with BndTools, it is an Eclipse plugin
that provides an OSGi development environment based on Bnd. Compared to other environments,
it is really fast. As soon as you hit "save" on one of your source files, a new version of
your bundle is created and deployed, making any changes almost "instant". Bundles themselves
are defined using "bnd" files and the plugin provides nice editors for those, as well as many
different abstractions to talk to external repositories through OBR. There are many other
advantages, such as tooling to help us correctly use semantic versioning throughout our project
and easy ways to run and debug different bundle configurations. Headless builds are supported,
as are unit and integration testing. An interesting twist is that deploying directly to ACE
itself is also supported, so we as a project integrate nicely with this environme
>> nt.
>>> Another reason to move is that it could make our release process a lot simpler.
Recent discussions within Apache about what constitutes an official release have emphasized
that only source releases are "official" Apache releases and that those are the ones we should
vote on. Afterwards we can obviously still make binary releases available, and I think in
the case of ACE we should. During our releases in the incubator we have tried to strike a
balance between doing "big bang" and "component" releases, setting up everything in such a
way that we could do both. This has proven to be very complicated and doing releases was painful.
With BndTools we can create one source archive that can be used "out of the box" to build
everything and since this embeds all bundle and package versions we can decide to only bump
those if something actually changes. For convenience we can then still provide both separate
artifacts for Maven as well as shrink-wrapped binaries that can be used out of the box