ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the build to BndTools
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:22:45 GMT

Hi all,

Having some real life experience with BndTools (done several projects
with it), I'll also post my ramblings on this proposal.

I favor migrating away from Maven to BndTools. I do not think it is
practical to support both build-tools. One of the reasons being that
BndTools allows you to have multiple bundles in a single Eclipse
project. It would mean that we can have less projects, making the
project certainly more tangible and comprehensible from a source
perspective.

BndTools also makes OSGi bundles a 1st class citizen in Eclipse,
allowing you to run them directly from Eclipse as you would do with
non-OSGi projects. This _certainly_ will increase development speed, IMO.

Regards,

  Jan Willem

On 6/28/12 11:45 AM, Tang Yong wrote:
> Hello Rafal,
>
>> From my experience, Bndtools + maven-bundle-plugin combination
>> works quite well. You don't need to migrate away from Maven to
>> Ant in order to use Bndtools.
>
> Real Case is that:
>
> how to import the maven-built large project into bndtools including
> mave n repo's setting.
>
> BTW: which version of bndtools are you using? Version 1.0.0?
>
>> mine :) I can share some experiences/tips if anyone is
>> interested.
> I want to know very much! Thanks!
>
> -Best Regrads -Tang
>
> Rafał Krzewski wrote:
>> From my experience, Bndtools + maven-bundle-plugin combination
>> works quite well. You don't need to migrate away from Maven to
>> Ant in order to use Bndtools. There are some missing bits, like
>> GAV -> BSN/BV mapping, Bndtools release action ->
>> maven-release-plugin integration but other than that, it works
>> remarkably smoothly, at least for the little toy projects of mine
>> :) I can share some experiences/tips if anyone is interested.
>>
>> regards, Rafał
>>
>> On 06/28/2012 10:52 AM, Tang Yong wrote:
>>> Hi Marcel,
>>>
>>> Bndtools is indeed a good tool for building osgi bundle,
>>> however, I want to know whether there are good experences for
>>> mirgrating a large project(eg. ace, glassfish) which has used
>>> maven for building because the current release of bndtools
>>> seemed not to be friend to maven.
>>>
>>> -Best Regard! --Tang

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards