ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving the build to BndTools
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:21:47 GMT
We are aware of how to currently build the project with Maven (using m2e and related tools).
The point is that this way of developing and building the project is a lot slower. For example,
if I now want to change a single Java file in one project, I then need to manually rebuild
that project, then rebuild the assembly, and if I had for example the ACE server running,
I need to either update that bundle myself, or even worse, restart the whole application.
All of these steps can no doubt be automated if you spend enough effort with Maven, but this
stuff works out of the box with BndTools, which is why I proposed the whole move.

So we do not intend to keep all the pom files that Maven requires but instead just create
a few bnd files with the bundle definitions and let BndTools do the rest.

Greetings, Marcel

On Jun 28, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Rafał Krzewski wrote:

> On 06/28/2012 11:45 AM, Tang Yong wrote:
>> Hello Rafal,
>>
>> >  From my experience, Bndtools + maven-bundle-plugin combination works
>> > quite well. You don't need to migrate away from Maven to Ant in order >to
use Bndtools.

>> Real Case is that:
>>
>> how to import the maven-built large project into bndtools including mave n repo's
setting.

> First off, I assume that the project is OSGi application built using maven-bundle-plugin.
> You should use fairly new Eclipse - 3.8 or 4.2, m2e 1.1, maven-bundle-plugin 2.3.6+ and
current Tycho m2e connector. The last is quite counter-intuitive, but it is in fact necessary.
> With this set of tools, you should be able to import the project into eclipse workspace
using "Import existing Maven projects into Workspace" and it should build cleanly. If the
build is using non-standard plugins you might run into m2e connector problems. There are different
solutions, depending on what plugins are in use. I can offer some assistance here, too.

> Once you have the all the dependencies resolved, and all the sources building, you can
introduce Bndtools into the mix. You should create bnd.bnd files in each module an move the
configuration of BND from maven-bundle-plugin section to that file, and add Bndtools project
nature to your project. After this is done, the modules will appear in Bndtools "workspace"
repository. Once you have the Workspace repository populated, you can set up some run descriptors
to spin up an OSGi framework and run your appplication straight from workspace. Your bundles
will be updated in the framework on Save action on and editor, which is allows for really
smooth work flow.

> Please note that you should be using m2e provided classpath container for compile-time
dependencies in Eclipse. This ensures that the project will build the same way both in Eclipse
and outside it (on CI server etc). The runtime classpath is managed by Bndtools, and is composed
of bundles from OBR repositories. Maven repositories can be exposed as OBR repositories in
several ways, Nexus OSS + OBR plugin being probably the most flexible, but there are simpler
zero-investment solutions - repository.xml can be generated with OSGi Bindex tool, or maven-bundle-plugin.