ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ace-launcher
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:50:39 GMT
Hello Jan Willem,

First of all, thanks for offering this contribution!

Comments in-line below.

On Feb 3, 2012, at 14:09 PM, Jan Willem Janssen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 1/20/12 6:44 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
>> Hello Jan Willem,
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2012, at 16:37 PM, Jan Willem Janssen wrote:
>>
>>> The past couple of days I've been working on a possible
>>> contribution for the ACE project: the ace-launcher.
>>>
>>> So, what does it do? It simply provides a managed service that
>>> can be configured to launch an arbitrary (external) process, such
>>> as a JVM. A use case for this would be that you might want to
>>> provision a kind of bootstrap application from ACE to a node
>>> which on its own starts, for example, a Glassfish server.
>>
>> That sounds like a great addition to ACE, thanks for considering to
>> donate it!
>>
>>> Current features include: - - monitors the launched process and
>>> can respawn it again if it (unexpectedly) terminates; - -
>>> provides hooks to run an arbritary piece of code before a
>>> process is launched, and after a process is terminated; - - can
>>> launch multiple instances of a process, if desired.
>>
>> Great!
>>
>>> As I want to donate my code to the ACE project, I'm looking for
>>> some standards and guidelines before submitting the patch.
>>
>> In general, we have a Coding Style Guide that you can look at:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACE/Java+Coding+Style+Guide
>>

>>> Another thing is: what package name should/can I use?
>>
>> org.apache.ace.launcher (and appropriate subpackages) sounds just
>> fine. You can use that as the service.pid if necessary as well.
>>
>> If you then attach the code to a Jira issue, we can proceed from
>> there.
>
> I've finally took the time to rework all existing to code to comply to
> the coding guidelines and tag it with the proper license headers. As
> for the package name: org.apache.ace.launcher is already taken, so I
> used org.apache.ace.processlauncher instead, which is probably a
> better name for this artifact anyway.

Good point, I totally overlooked that when you asked me before.

> All code is made available through a new JIRA issue, see:
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-215>.
>
> I already mentioned it in the JIRA issue, but I am willing to keep
> maintaining this code in the future, should any bugs/features/etc be
> solved for this component.

That would be great and it always helps us decide if we should accept the code or not. From
the looks of it, we might need to formally ask for a Software Grant. I'm leaving (snow permitting)
for FOSDEM soon, so I'm going to take a look again after the weekend. In the mean time, let's
see what the others have to say about this.

Greetings, Marcel