ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: ace-launcher
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:09:11 GMT

Hi,

On 1/20/12 6:44 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hello Jan Willem,
>
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 16:37 PM, Jan Willem Janssen wrote:
>
>> The past couple of days I've been working on a possible
>> contribution for the ACE project: the ace-launcher.
>>
>> So, what does it do? It simply provides a managed service that
>> can be configured to launch an arbitrary (external) process, such
>> as a JVM. A use case for this would be that you might want to
>> provision a kind of bootstrap application from ACE to a node
>> which on its own starts, for example, a Glassfish server.
>
> That sounds like a great addition to ACE, thanks for considering to
> donate it!
>
>> Current features include: - - monitors the launched process and
>> can respawn it again if it (unexpectedly) terminates; - -
>> provides hooks to run an arbritary piece of code before a
>> process is launched, and after a process is terminated; - - can
>> launch multiple instances of a process, if desired.
>
> Great!
>
>> As I want to donate my code to the ACE project, I'm looking for
>> some standards and guidelines before submitting the patch.
>
> In general, we have a Coding Style Guide that you can look at:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACE/Java+Coding+Style+Guide
>

>> Another thing is: what package name should/can I use?
>
> org.apache.ace.launcher (and appropriate subpackages) sounds just
> fine. You can use that as the service.pid if necessary as well.
>
> If you then attach the code to a Jira issue, we can proceed from
> there.

I've finally took the time to rework all existing to code to comply to
the coding guidelines and tag it with the proper license headers. As
for the package name: org.apache.ace.launcher is already taken, so I
used org.apache.ace.processlauncher instead, which is probably a
better name for this artifact anyway.

All code is made available through a new JIRA issue, see:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-215>.

I already mentioned it in the JIRA issue, but I am willing to keep
maintaining this code in the future, should any bugs/features/etc be
solved for this component.

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect