ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ace-launcher
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:44:41 GMT
Hello Jan Willem,

On Jan 17, 2012, at 16:37 PM, Jan Willem Janssen wrote:

> The past couple of days I've been working on a possible contribution
> for the ACE project: the ace-launcher.
>
> So, what does it do? It simply provides a managed service that can be
> configured to launch an arbitrary (external) process, such as a JVM. A
> use case for this would be that you might want to provision a kind of
> bootstrap application from ACE to a node which on its own starts, for
> example, a Glassfish server.

That sounds like a great addition to ACE, thanks for considering to donate it!

> Current features include:
> - - monitors the launched process and can respawn it again if it
>  (unexpectedly) terminates;
> - - provides hooks to run an arbritary piece of code before a process
>  is launched, and after a process is terminated;
> - - can launch multiple instances of a process, if desired.

Great!

> As I want to donate my code to the ACE project, I'm looking for some
> standards and guidelines before submitting the patch.

In general, we have a Coding Style Guide that you can look at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACE/Java+Coding+Style+Guide

> Another thing is: what package name should/can I use?

org.apache.ace.launcher (and appropriate subpackages) sounds just fine. You can use that as
the service.pid if necessary as well.

If you then attach the code to a Jira issue, we can proceed from there.

Greetings, Marcel