ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Work on the website
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:47:20 GMT
Hi Marcel,

it looks good to me. Ready to work on it ;)

Regards
JB

On 01/17/2012 08:25 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2012, at 15:24 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
>
>> Hello JB,
>>
>> On Jan 9, 2012, at 13:03 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> the CMS has been setup on ace.apache.org, but it doesn't provide any content
for now.
>>> I propose to start at least with the copy of the content from the incubator website.
>>> Any objection ?
>>
>> I'm still wrapping up the many steps involved in the move, but as you can see, we're
getting there! :)

>> I think we might want to discuss what and how to move, before we dive in and start
the work, as this is an excellent opportunity to restructure the site a bit.

>> So I would propose to start by defining a (new) hierarchy for our website, at the
same time trying to identifying the bits and pieces that have been missing or hard to find
in the current site and addressing those.

>> WDYT?
>
> Following up, I drafted the first proposal for a new hierarchy, based mostly on the content
we currently have, but slightly re-arranged:

> - News
> - Presentations and articles / ACE on the web
>
> Downloads
>
> User Documentation
> - Introduction
> - Getting Started
> - Features
> - Support
>
> Developer Documentation
> - Architecture
> - Analysis
> -- (5 pages)
> - Design
> -- (7 pages)
> - Coding Standards
>
> Get Involved
> - Mailing Lists
> - Issue Tracking
> - Source Code
> - Project Team
>
> Wiki
> - Board Reports
> - Drafts (??)
>
> Apache
> - About
> - License
> - Security
> - Sponsorship
> - Thanks
>
> Process wise, if we agree on a hierarchy, we can start setting up this tree in the CMS,
moving over the content page by page, converting it into "markdown" format.

> I propose we stick to just migrating the content before we start worrying about styling
it. In the mean time I have asked a colleague (Ivo) who also did the styling for the Felix
website, as well as our ACE logo, to design a new style for us so no doubt he will contribute
something soon!

> We have some technical issues to think about as well, mainly related to maintaining and
publishing diagrams on our new website. In Confluence, we could use Gliffy to draw diagrams,
but we have to come up with something different now. I guess we should stick with something
like SVG and use an editor that can read/write that natively.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org