ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Work on the website
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:25:05 GMT
On Jan 9, 2012, at 15:24 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:

> Hello JB,
>
> On Jan 9, 2012, at 13:03 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> the CMS has been setup on ace.apache.org, but it doesn't provide any content for
now.
>> I propose to start at least with the copy of the content from the incubator website.
>> Any objection ?
>
> I'm still wrapping up the many steps involved in the move, but as you can see, we're
getting there! :)

> I think we might want to discuss what and how to move, before we dive in and start the
work, as this is an excellent opportunity to restructure the site a bit.

> So I would propose to start by defining a (new) hierarchy for our website, at the same
time trying to identifying the bits and pieces that have been missing or hard to find in the
current site and addressing those.

> WDYT?

Following up, I drafted the first proposal for a new hierarchy, based mostly on the content
we currently have, but slightly re-arranged:

- News
- Presentations and articles / ACE on the web

Downloads

User Documentation
- Introduction
- Getting Started
- Features
- Support

Developer Documentation
- Architecture
- Analysis
-- (5 pages)
- Design
-- (7 pages)
- Coding Standards

Get Involved
- Mailing Lists
- Issue Tracking
- Source Code
- Project Team

Wiki
- Board Reports
- Drafts (??)

Apache
- About
- License
- Security
- Sponsorship
- Thanks

Process wise, if we agree on a hierarchy, we can start setting up this tree in the CMS, moving
over the content page by page, converting it into "markdown" format.

I propose we stick to just migrating the content before we start worrying about styling it.
In the mean time I have asked a colleague (Ivo) who also did the styling for the Felix website,
as well as our ACE logo, to design a new style for us so no doubt he will contribute something
soon!

We have some technical issues to think about as well, mainly related to maintaining and publishing
diagrams on our new website. In Confluence, we could use Gliffy to draw diagrams, but we have
to come up with something different now. I guess we should stick with something like SVG and
use an editor that can read/write that natively.

For other (bitmap) images such as photos and screenshots, this is much less of an issue.

Greetings, Marcel