ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Can't Drop Bundle on Feature
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 00:57:19 GMT
Hello Wayne,

On Dec 13, 2011, at 20:12 PM, Irwin, Wayne wrote:

> I downloaded the source code for Apache Ace on Dec 9 and it built
> successfully. I was able to run the dev server and attach a client at
> localhost:8080/ace.
>
> I added an artifact, feature and a distribution.  I cannot seem to drag
> an artifact onto a feature.  The drag seems to operate as I would expect
> and the drop on the feature seems to change color as expected, but the
> bundle is not added to the feature.  I have tried this in both IE8 and
> FireFox 8.  I went to the vaadin samples page https://vaadin.com/demo
> and the drag-drop demos work fine there, so I don't think it is a
> browser issue.

Let me double check some things:

1) You linked artifact to feature to distribution to target, and then hit "store" to make
sure the new configuration became active?

2) When linking, first *select* the source item(s) by single clicking on them, and then pick
them up and drag them to a neighboring column and let go. You might need to select something
else to "refresh" the associations afterwards.

The UI is definitely an aspects that could use some extra love and attention at the moment,
so if you have experience with Vaadin and are willing to help, that would be very much appreciated.

> Also, the progress bar in the bottom left corner is doing a continual
> grey barber pole effect and never seems to end or change.

It is there to fix an issue. Let me explain. In our client bundles, that form the client side
business logic, there are certain "models" that have asynchronous behaviour in the sense that
for example if you add an item, the update of the model will happen on another thread. Vaadin
does not recognize such updates: you need to refresh it. Putting that progress bar on the
UI is a "hack" to ensure Vaadin always refreshes the UI, as the progress bar forces it. Maybe
by now, there is a better way to "push" such updates, when I started with the UI there was
not.

> When I open a Vaadin Debug Window (localhost:8080/ace?debug), it is
> being continually updated every second with the recurring entry
> 	Making UIDL Request with params:
> afba626d-6e86-436e-ac3f-1a1072658972
> 	Server visit took XXXms
> 	JSON parsing took 0ms
> 	Processing time was XXms for 59 characters of JSON
> 	Referenced paintables: 29

That is probably related to that progress gadget.

Again, it would be nice if we could do that in a more elegant way.

Greetings, Marcel