ace-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using the Sling OSGi Installer?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:35:14 GMT
Hi,

2011/11/27 Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl>:

> I guess this is a difference between ACE (or rather deployment packages) and the Sling
installer. If you have an application installed and there is an update for bundles A, B and
C (and we assume there is a bug in B) then ACE will:

> Start a transaction, install A, install B, discover that that fails and rollback B and
A to end up in the original situation again.

> And from what I understand, Sling will:
>
> Install A, install B, discover that that fails, install C, and then keeps retrying B.
>
> My concern is that probably, with only A and C installed, the overall application will
not work that well, whereas if you roll all changes back, the chances of ending up with an
application that works are a lot better.

Yes, that's a basic difference - but as long as you're using
deployment packages with the Sling installer, you're fine. So your
deployment package contains bundles A, B and C and if installation of
B fails, the deployment package installation is stopped/rolled back.
The only difference is, Sling tries to reinstall the deployment
package.
If you're using single bundles which are installed directly, you're right.

> Yes. As soon as you allow more than one version of a bundle to be installed at the same
time, you end up with problems because you cannot identify in the case of an update, which
is an update of which. This, in my opinion, is a "bug" in the OSGi specification, especially
now that the 4.3 spec will even allow you to install the same version multiple times. Luckily,
in real life, this situation rarely occurs (appearantly).
Yepp, when it comes to bundles, the Sling installer does not allow to
install the same bundle in different versions (based on the symbolic
name of the bundle)

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler