ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Client :: AutoDeploy
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 07:27:13 GMT
On Oct 5, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> What I think would be beneficial to ACE is to adopt Sling's scheduler
> which is more flexible than the one here. I'm already using it for my
> application.

We did start some discussions about "unifying" schedulers in the past. I just don't think
we finished that discussion and followed up on it. From memory, the Sling scheduler is based
on Quartz. I remember the biggest issue with that is that our management agent also needs
a very simple scheduler, and that we did not want to deploy Quartz because it was way too
heavy.

That does not mean the idea is bad. In fact, if we can come up with an API for a scheduler
that is generic enough to support both a very lightweight version (for our management agent)
and a more sophisticated one (for "enterprise" environments) that would be great. The trick
is to find a way to combine the richness of the Quartz API with the "lean and mean"-ness of
a very lightweight implementation.

Apart from coming up with the API it will probably then require some effort to adapt Sling
and ACE to this new API. And while we're at it, we might also want to send a copy to the OSGi
Alliance so they can include it in the OSGi Compendium.

Greetings, Marcel