ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject About DeploymentProcessors (ACE-186)...
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:56:02 GMT
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you some background information on DeploymentProcessors as added via
ACE-186. The concept is fairly straightforward. Right now, a management agent talks to the
DeploymentServlet. Usually it first queries for a list of available versions of the software,
and if there is a new version, it requests that version (or a delta). Right now, the version
is always delivered as a deployment package, which is great, because it's a standard OSGi
compendium service, and very extensible, so the ideal fit for OSGi.

But what if the target is not a "standard" OSGi framework?

Recently, Karl has been working on PojoSR (http://code.google.com/p/pojosr/) and that is slowly
gaining some traction. Also, one can imagine that other (more or less modular) containers
could be used together with ACE. Or even, OSGi containers that run on different platforms,
such as Felix running on Android (on the Dalvik VM). In all these scenarios you probably want
to deliver the bundles in a (slightly) different format which is the motivation for this system.

I also considered just adding different endpoints (you could just register another servlet)
but then you end up duplicating a lot of code from the existing servlet so in the end, I discarded
that option.

Greetings, Marcel