ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Various newbie observations
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:02:54 GMT
Hello Jeremias,

On Sep 30, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I'm looking into adopting parts of Apache ACE as the deployment tool for
> an appliciation I'm writing. It's my second attempt with ACE now, after
> my first that wasn't so successful. I'm starting to find my way around
> the project by studying lots of source code and starting to add MetaType
> information to make it easier to play with configuration settings.

Cool, thanks!

> Some background on what I'm trying to do if you're interested: I've
> written a partial implementation of the OSGi Initial Provisioning server
> [1]. Then I wrote a generic bootstrap agent that starts the actual
> management agent (most probably a customized ACE if I can get it to do
> what I need).

Feel free to explain exactly what you need.

> I'm not using the launcher but a stripped down, minimal
> Apache Karaf because it's easy to deploy that as a service and to
> (low-level) configure. That looks like a promising approach to me so far.

The launchers we provide are examples, I'm sure as a community we can come up with many more!

> So while digging around the project I noticed a few things:
> - first of all, a nicely divided and designed set of bundles that
> promises high flexibility and extensibility. Nice!

Thanks!

> - the source code is an ugly mix of spaces and tabs for indentation.
> Please talk among yourselves towards one or the other (I prefer spaces).
> A very minimal Checkstyle configuration file might be helpful, too.

We have a style guide, but we lack a checkstyle and/or Eclipse formatters right now. Check
out this page and let me know what you think:
http://incubator.apache.org/ace/java-coding-style-guide.html

I'll try to at least come up with a formatter for Eclipse (which is my weapon of choice).

> - A lot of svn:ignores are missing (see attached patch)

Thanks!

> - as long as the documentation is a little spotty (which is ok at this
> stage), please think about filling out the <description> tag in the POMs
> for each bundle so it's easier to get at least an idea what some bundle
> does. A little README would even be better. I think that would spare a
> lot of would-be adopters a lot of time finding their way around the
> project. I've had to regularly wander around the source code to figure
> out what a bundle is supposed to do.

Excellent idea. I'll spend some time to do that. I can see how that helps.

> I'll send a patch for the MetaType stuff when I've done a few more of
> those.

Great, I saw the patch, thanks a lot! Having the metatype stuff in place helps a lot, since
there are more and more tools nowadays that can use this information.

Greetings, Marcel