ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Various newbie observations
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:29:37 GMT
Hi Aces :-)

I'm looking into adopting parts of Apache ACE as the deployment tool for
an appliciation I'm writing. It's my second attempt with ACE now, after
my first that wasn't so successful. I'm starting to find my way around
the project by studying lots of source code and starting to add MetaType
information to make it easier to play with configuration settings.

Some background on what I'm trying to do if you're interested: I've
written a partial implementation of the OSGi Initial Provisioning server
[1]. Then I wrote a generic bootstrap agent that starts the actual
management agent (most probably a customized ACE if I can get it to do
what I need). I'm not using the launcher but a stripped down, minimal
Apache Karaf because it's easy to deploy that as a service and to
(low-level) configure. That looks like a promising approach to me so far.

So while digging around the project I noticed a few things:
- first of all, a nicely divided and designed set of bundles that
promises high flexibility and extensibility. Nice!
- the source code is an ugly mix of spaces and tabs for indentation.
Please talk among yourselves towards one or the other (I prefer spaces).
A very minimal Checkstyle configuration file might be helpful, too.
- A lot of svn:ignores are missing (see attached patch)
- as long as the documentation is a little spotty (which is ok at this
stage), please think about filling out the <description> tag in the POMs
for each bundle so it's easier to get at least an idea what some bundle
does. A little README would even be better. I think that would spare a
lot of would-be adopters a lot of time finding their way around the
project. I've had to regularly wander around the source code to figure
out what a bundle is supposed to do.

I'll send a patch for the MetaType stuff when I've done a few more of
those.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/3xvjxh5f7sfystfr

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, 7-Bit, 0 bytes)
View raw message