ace-dev mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CRUD on targets howto (via REST)
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:35:47 GMT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2011, at 16:20 , Bram de Kruijff wrote:
>
>> working with the new REST api doing some random CRUD on objects and
>> noticed I can not delete targets? As the webui does not support
>> deleting of target either I am kind of wondering how this works (or
>> should work) conceptually. Are there attributes I can set to make them
>> deletable?
>
> At the moment you cannot delete targets.

Ok

> Once a target exists, it accumulates historic data (audit log, versions that are deployed
to it). ACE keeps a full history of everything that ever happened, so you cannot currently
delete a target.

> Now obviously we can discuss this, as there might be use cases where you simply do not
care about a target (and its history?) anymore, but as the current REST API reflects the client
API, delete does not work.

IMHO there are relevant use cases where "you simply do not care about
a target (and its history)" anymore. My current use cases is in
development/test being able to setup/teardown (part of or even an
entire) model. At least in test this should prevent me with a
clean/deterministic fixture so I dislike random ids. Also in a real
live deployment I think when targets are simply gone (eg. sysop typo
during deployment of a target) they should not clutter the model
unnecessarily and thus be deletable.

just my 2 cents
grz
Bram