ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Managing Dynamism
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:04:36 GMT
Hello John,

Probably makes sense to follow up on the ACE mailing list. We don't yet have "users" list
so feel free to use the ace-dev list for that (I cc'ed this mail to it as well).

Greetings, Marcel

On 15 Jul 2011, at 15:36 , <john.dunlap@exceter.com> <john.dunlap@exceter.com>
wrote:

> That sounds perfect for what I'm trying to do!
>
> Quoting Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl>:
>
>> On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:00 , <john.dunlap@exceter.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to hide the update mechanism from the end user. As far  as the client
is be concerned, the application should be versioned  as a whole. For example, I would like
the client to see that an  update from version 1.2.3.4 to 1.2.3.5 is available. Behind the
 scenes the update would be a collection of bundles. The bundles  would be versioned separately
but the update(collection of bundles)  would be tested as a unit in my test environment before
being made  available to the client.

>> You're pretty much describing the way Apache ACE handles the  deployment of bundles
(and configuration). They are distributed in a  deployment package. Deployment packages are
versioned sets of  artifacts. Every time you change something in the set of bundles  (for
that client) its version number is bumped.

>>> I'd also like to be able to give the client a menu for falling back  to a previous
version.

>> The management agent on the client can make that decision (to go  back to any previous
version in fact). Hooking that up to the UI  isn't hard.