ace-dev mailing list archives

From Přemek Brada <br...@kiv.zcu.cz>
Subject Re: Integrating ACE into your development environment...
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:40:57 GMT
Hello everyone,

I'd think some first-class dev support for ACE would be a good move
now that the release is out; in general, "user friendly" development
support isn't that common in OSGi world yet, seems to me ;)

As Marcel mentioned, we (actually, one master student of mine) have
created an Eclipse plugin that is able to do quite a few things of
those suggested - run locally installed ACE server and target off
Eclipse, push the bundle created in Eclipse (via standard PDE or
bndtools) to the server OBR, have all the bundles in server accessible
as special user library on project classpath, and run the target in
debug mode.

The implementation is available from
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/eclipse-ace/ where both the source and
update site are linked. I wonder whether you think that could be a
start towards the IDE support Marcel sketched.

Besides that, a REST API for communicating with the server would help
a lot for such IDE integration. For instance, we had quite a few
problems reaching the correct spots in ACE to have the
bundle-feature-application-target mapping chain updated correctly when
the bundle is published to the server. At the moment, the
implementation actually manipulates the xml mapping files directly.

So, that's my 2c.  I'd be quite interested also to hear any thoughts
on the Eclipse ACE IDE implementation we currently have.

Premek

On 10 June 2011 20:41, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> Hello JB,
>
> On 10 Jun 2011, at 17:25 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> You're right around the download page and "communication" around the release. I'm
gonna update the wiki adding an announce and the download link.

> Ok!
>
>> 1/ I'm fully agree about usage of ACE during development. Does it mean that we will
provide plugin for Eclipse and/or IntelliJ supporting ACE. If it's the case, why not thinking
a kind of UI in Eclipse IDE, even for production system ? We should also support a kind of
branding for UI.

> As a first step this is about enabling easy integration into build and IDE systems. The
next logical step would be to create integrations for specific IDE's and Premek for example
has already shown a project that might fit in nicely.

> For production systems, my personal preference would be to stick with a web application,
because that requires no installation and because I see Eclipse as a development tool, not
necessarily as an end user tool. But the client API can definitely support other user interfaces,
so from that point of view, the more, the merrier!

>> 2/ Now that the release if out, we need to work on the documentation. I propose to
use the mechanism used in Apache Camel: the documentation "source" is on the wiki and we will
be able to generate an user guide extracted from the wiki and generating professional PDF
documents (using Prince XML).

> Do you have a link to some background information on how that works? One thing I am keeping
in the back of my mind as well is that Confluence will be phased out for creating projects'
websites. I don't think we must already move, but at some point in the future we will. We
should take that into account as well.

> The most important thing is that we first must *have* user documentation first! :)
>
>> 2'/ Around new features, I'm gonna resume the full support of Karaf next week, both
as a runtime container for ACE and a supported target (including features).

--
Premek Brada (Ing et MSc, PhD)
  Lecturer in Software enginering, Webmaster