ace-dev mailing list archives

From Přemek Brada <br...@kiv.zcu.cz>
Subject Re: donating ACE IDE to ACE
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:44:11 GMT
On 22 June 2011 14:05, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> Feel free to ask here. If things are not clear to you, they might also not be clear to
others, so the worst that can happen is that we all learn a thing or two. ;)

OK, here is how I understand the process, plus the question marks I
have in my head.

Premek

Process needed for the donation
=====================

0. Create the "podling"

- clean up the source in current (Assembla) repository -- make sure
authors are specified and dead code removed
- tag in Assembla repository as "Apache import ready"
- get a mentor (or two ;-) from the ACE project committers
- create Jira ticket "import ACE IDE codebase", attach the tagged
source in .zip archive
-- who should do this: Tomas (the developer)?
-- attach exported source, but maybe svnadmin dump could be attached
as well (to import history)?
-- or, should we push the code to Apache in some other way?

1. IP and code clearance

- sort out SGA by the Uni, if needed at all, on behalf of Premek's contribution
-- is needed? the only commits in the code are "administrative"
(license comments cleanup, commented-out code removal), and if not
needed, the process will be much faster (or, put the other way round,
if corporate SGA is needed the process will be slowed down by the time
needed for dealing with our legal office ;-)
- send Tomas's (plus possibly University's) signed scanned SGA ; no
individual CLA needed as Tomas will most probably not continue
contributing
-- to whom - the mentor who passes that on to the Apache archives?
-- there are one or two larger pieces of code taken over from other
open-source projects, covered by MIT license AFAIK: do we need any IP
clearance for these?

- when the SGA paperwork is done (or possibly even before that?), the
mentor initiates an acceptance vote on the mailing list
- accepted by at least three +1's , mentor announces the result
- if accepted, mentor imports the code from Jira ticket to Apache
subversion (a separate "import" directory)
- code cleanup according to Apache guidelines: source headers, NOTICE
+ CREDITS + LICENSE files
-- who does this - the mentor?  we can do it obviously, but we will
not have commit rights and working via Jira attachments is cumbersome

2. Integration into ACE

- mentor copies cleaned-up code to the ACE trunk
- that trunk contribution is tagged

> On 22 Jun 2011, at 13:46 , Přemek Brada wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> thanks again for encouraging interest and support. I went through the
>> (somewhat scattered) information about the donation / IP clearance
>> processes and would like to clarify a few things. Is it OK to do this
>> on the list or better to take that to a private conversation, since
>> it's a rather mundane administrative stuff?
>>
>> Premek
>>

>> On 16 June 2011 14:12, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>>> I agree with both JB and Toni, we definitely want to accept this donation, and
it would be great if the two of you could pick it up (not trying to exclude anybody else that
wants to work on this, feel free to join in).

>>> To explain the process of donating something, the following links are probably
helpful:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#poding-ip-clearance
>>>
>>> Greetings, Marcel