ace-dev mailing list archives

From Přemek Brada <br...@kiv.zcu.cz>
Subject donating ACE IDE to ACE
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:16:56 GMT
Hello Marcel and everybody,

On 10 June 2011 20:23, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>> As the project currently
>> stands, I'm quite open to donating it to ACE and re-license under ASL
>> -- I'll  discuss this with my student (who under our law is the sole
>> holder of copyright) and then post to the list in that respect.
>
> That would be nice.

I spoke to the student developer, and he is willing to pass the
project on to the Apache ACE project, re-licensing under ASL. Both him
and I would however like to make sure that his (and our university)
contribution does not disappear by doing so, ie that he can reference
back to his work after it is part of ACE.

So I would like to ask for help with the donation and transition. My
rough idea is that

1. we create a jira ticket for this
2. we clarify the origin of the code (some minor pieces were reused
from other open source projects)
3. an archive with cleaned up source (author in javadocs, correct
license header) is attached to the ticket
4. paperwork related to the donation and IP clearance is done (?)
5. someone with committer rights imports the sources to the repository
6. documentation is transferred to ACE wiki

but obviously I am not completely sure about the process and its many
details. Could you please clarify it for us?  (Maybe outside the
mailing list 'coz I assume it will be boring details for most other
people.)

Since the student is currently awaiting final exams, he will not
probably be available until the start of July; so I guess the whole
thing will be done during the summer months depending on when each of
us is available.

Premek

--
Premek Brada (Ing et MSc, PhD)
  Lecturer in Software enginering, Webmaster