ace-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Supported maven version ?
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:07:58 GMT
Karl,

I suggested using 3.x as a minimum before seeing your previous mail, sorry about that.
That said, JB asked if there is a reason to not bump the version even higher and personally
I would go for it if possible.

If some members of the existing community use mostly mvn 2.2.1 for ace, or other projects
in their daily work, then it would be inconvenient, indeed, to force them to use different
versions of maven. That would be a strong reason to stay with 2.2.1 as a minimum.

However, if you consider just the ace project, if most (all) use mvn 3.x, supporting 2.2.1
would force (at least) the release manager to build with both and (probably) release with
2.2.1, because you cannot claim support for 2.2.1 and not use/test with it. There are differences
in versions of plugins used during the build that can be annoying to figure out. I experienced
that first hand (I did a release once on 3.0.2 and somebody discovered that it doesn't build
with 2.2.1; I obviously had to fix a plugin version and redo the release, not fun). Personally,
I use both 2.2.1 and 3.0.3 (don't have much of a choice) so for me it's not really a problem,
but I always prefer 3.0.3, mostly for it's cleaner/clearer/helpful output and I encourage
everybody to use that version.

Cheers,
Hadrian