ace-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Kestle <step...@kestle.net>
Subject Any chance of a burn down?
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:07:02 GMT
Hi there!

You guys are using JIRA, which has a very tantalising feature of time
estimation and a burndown chart that is immensely useful in determining
how things are going along.

Would it be possible to just have some gross estimates of how long it's
going to take "you" (the committer) to finish the work.  Nothing to be
held to - just a guess.  It'll give a rough idea of what's going on

e.g. if it's going to take 5 hours to do, and you spend 1.5 hours a
night (on average) then say 3 or 4 days.

    * I don't care if the days say they're 8 hours or whatever
    * I don't care if the "burn down" burns up because new tickets are
      being added into 0.8

This will help me see at a guess if 0.8 is going to be ready in days (I
don't think so), weeks (maybe), months (hopefully in low numbers), or years.

It will also help me sell ACE to my work which is currently developing
OSGi provisioning and soon deployment services, and potentially get
patches sent your way.

If you say "yes" (please please please...), it'd be pretty awesome to
have a guess at the "release date" based on looking at the chart burn
down and your gut feeling.  Again, I don't care if it's accurate or not
(it's going to be about 10x more accurate than any guess I can come up
with based on ticket flows etc).

Thanks for giving me hope for something better than Web Start! ;)

Stephen