ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ACE 0.8.0 ReleaseCandidate
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:33:40 GMT
Hello JB,

+1 :)

That sounds good, if we can use Karaf to make it easy to deploy our runtime, without becoming
dependent on it (one should always be able to pick up all ACE bundles and configuration and
install it in an empty OSGi framework), I'm all for it.

I would like to propose one additional feature: the ACE OBR, which can either run as part
of the ACE server, or it can be on a separate machine. We don't have to do that right away,
but it would be nice to keep that in mind. It would also be a great step towards being able
to use other OBR / repository implementations (and/or multiple ones).

Greetings, Marcel

On Feb 23, 2011, at 14:50 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi Marcel,
>
> We are agree, but maybe we can provide:
> - a default runtime distribution which packages Karaf, ACE bundles/features, ACE shell
commands. The newbie could start with this package, simply uncompress the archive and run
ace. The starter is ready. As Karaf support WAR deployment, we can provide a ACE feature to
also deploy the web console.
> - a "expert" distribution which packages ACE bundles. The "power" users could deploy
this distribution in any OSGi container: a pure Felix or Equinox one, a custom Karaf, etc.

> In both case, I would like to provide script to deploy agent to an OSGi instance.
>
> So, the distributions could contain:
> 1/ Runtime
> 	1.1/ Karaf
> 	1.2/ ACE core resources (bundles/features)
> 	1.3/ ACE extra resources (bundles/features for webui/vaadim)
> 	1.4/ ACE shell commands, including a command to deploy an agent into a target Karaf
instance
> 	1.5/ out of the box scripts to start ACE runtime, and deploy the agent on a target OSGi
instance
> 	1.6/ ace-maven-plugin containing ace:deploy-agent, ace:run goals which to quite the
same as 1.5
> 2/ Expert
> Provide all ACE bundles in jar format, ready to be installed into any OSGi container.
> The web ui/vaadin war is also provided ready to be deployed.
> The script to deploy ACE agent is also provided.
> 3/ Source
> Just a packaging of all ACE sources.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 02/23/2011 02:38 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
>> I would prefer a distribution that can also run on just any OSGi container. I don't
mind also providing a feature so one can easily run it in Karaf, but I'm hesitant about making
ACE somehow dependent on more than just the OSGi framework itself.

>> I know we currently use Pax Runner to bootstrap, which (especially when developing)
is a very flexible way of launching frameworks, but with the new launcher API we should be
able to write a very small piece of bootstrap code that launches ACE.

>> By the way, I completely agree with your end goals JB, run the server with a simple
script and run the target by deploying an agent in an OSGi instance (and/or provide an OSGi
instance with an agent).

>> Looking ahead a bit (not for now) we should be able to eat our own dogfood and be
able to provision an ACE server with ACE. Of course the first ACE server would have to be
bootstrapped with a script anyway. ;)