ace-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ACE 0.8.0 ReleaseCandidate
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:28:35 GMT
ACE must run in any OSGi container. Karaf is actually not an OSGi container per se, it sits
atop Equinox or Felix (you can change that with one property) and it adds some useful features
to a standard OSGi container. From what I saw there are no dependencies from ACE on Karaf,
and there shouldn't be.

That said, if the default ACE distro will come with a Karaf container out of the box, I suspect
many of the users will just use that. I don't know if that would be a bad thing (probably
not). Running ACE in other containers or without Karaf could be covered by documentation (for
now at least).

Marcel, +1 on provisioning ACE with ACE.

My $0.02,
Hadrian

On Feb 23, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:

> I would prefer a distribution that can also run on just any OSGi container. I don't mind
also providing a feature so one can easily run it in Karaf, but I'm hesitant about making
ACE somehow dependent on more than just the OSGi framework itself.

> I know we currently use Pax Runner to bootstrap, which (especially when developing) is
a very flexible way of launching frameworks, but with the new launcher API we should be able
to write a very small piece of bootstrap code that launches ACE.

> By the way, I completely agree with your end goals JB, run the server with a simple script
and run the target by deploying an agent in an OSGi instance (and/or provide an OSGi instance
with an agent).

> Looking ahead a bit (not for now) we should be able to eat our own dogfood and be able
to provision an ACE server with ACE. Of course the first ACE server would have to be bootstrapped
with a script anyway. ;)