ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ACE 0.8.0 ReleaseCandidate
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:50:19 GMT
Hi Marcel,

We are agree, but maybe we can provide:
- a default runtime distribution which packages Karaf, ACE
bundles/features, ACE shell commands. The newbie could start with this
package, simply uncompress the archive and run ace. The starter is
ready. As Karaf support WAR deployment, we can provide a ACE feature to
also deploy the web console.
- a "expert" distribution which packages ACE bundles. The "power" users
could deploy this distribution in any OSGi container: a pure Felix or
Equinox one, a custom Karaf, etc.

In both case, I would like to provide script to deploy agent to an OSGi
instance.

So, the distributions could contain:
1/ Runtime
	1.1/ Karaf
	1.2/ ACE core resources (bundles/features)
	1.3/ ACE extra resources (bundles/features for webui/vaadim)
	1.4/ ACE shell commands, including a command to deploy an agent into a
target Karaf instance
	1.5/ out of the box scripts to start ACE runtime, and deploy the agent
on a target OSGi instance
	1.6/ ace-maven-plugin containing ace:deploy-agent, ace:run goals which
to quite the same as 1.5
2/ Expert
Provide all ACE bundles in jar format, ready to be installed into any
OSGi container.
The web ui/vaadin war is also provided ready to be deployed.
The script to deploy ACE agent is also provided.
3/ Source
Just a packaging of all ACE sources.

WDYT ?

Regards
JB

On 02/23/2011 02:38 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> I would prefer a distribution that can also run on just any OSGi container. I don't mind
also providing a feature so one can easily run it in Karaf, but I'm hesitant about making
ACE somehow dependent on more than just the OSGi framework itself.

> I know we currently use Pax Runner to bootstrap, which (especially when developing) is
a very flexible way of launching frameworks, but with the new launcher API we should be able
to write a very small piece of bootstrap code that launches ACE.

> By the way, I completely agree with your end goals JB, run the server with a simple script
and run the target by deploying an agent in an OSGi instance (and/or provide an OSGi instance
with an agent).

> Looking ahead a bit (not for now) we should be able to eat our own dogfood and be able
to provision an ACE server with ACE. Of course the first ACE server would have to be bootstrapped
with a script anyway. ;)