ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] ACE 0.8.0 ReleaseCandidate
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:41:36 GMT
On Feb 23, 2011, at 15:28 , Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> ACE must run in any OSGi container. Karaf is actually not an OSGi container per se, it
sits atop Equinox or Felix (you can change that with one property) and it adds some useful
features to a standard OSGi container. From what I saw there are no dependencies from ACE
on Karaf, and there shouldn't be.

I know, basically the analogy that is often used is that OSGi frameworks are like Linux kernels,
and environments like Karaf are like Linux distributions (Ubuntu, ...). In that sense ACE
should be usable on all kernels and distributions.

> That said, if the default ACE distro will come with a Karaf container out of the box,
I suspect many of the users will just use that. I don't know if that would be a bad thing
(probably not). Running ACE in other containers or without Karaf could be covered by documentation
(for now at least).

That's a good thing, I agree!

> Marcel, +1 on provisioning ACE with ACE.

Yes, that would be very nice as we've already included several mechanisms inside ACE to make
it scale, and the next step would be to make it scale elastically of course and for that it
needs to be able to deploy itself. I think we're close to making that happen!

Greetings, Marcel