ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Dynamically debugging services with aspects...
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2011 22:44:41 GMT
Hello Dennis,

Yes, the sample below is something that literally came out of the ACE code, but I ripped it
out before I committed it. Go to the ace-webui-vaadin project, and then to the src/main/java/org/apache/ace/webui/vaadin/Activator.java
class and lookup the init(BundleContext context, DependencyManager manager) method and insert
the snippet below at the end.

That's the quickest way to start with this. Naturally, by sticking it in the same bundle as
the UI, you cannot easily install and uninstall it separately form the rest of the codebase,
but I guess that's not hard to do.

Greetings, Marcel

On 23 Jan 2011, at 21:29 , Dennis Crissman wrote:

> Would it be possible to get a working example of how to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis Crissman
>
>> Subject: Re: Dynamically debugging services with aspects...
>> From: marcel.offermans@luminis.nl
>> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:34:09 +0100
>> To: ace-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>
>> Definitely, or, using the same method described below, you can also intercept all
EventHandlers that are listening to events.

>> On 23 Jan 2011, at 15:55 , Angelo van der Sijpt wrote:
>>
>>> Ooh, nice method, I've had this problem before.
>>>
>>> To add to that, you could ease debugging (or at least, tracing of calls to EventAdmin)
by attaching the method that calls this postEvent or sendEvent method, for instance by using
>>>   result.append(Thread.currentThread().getStackTrace()[2])
>>>
>>> I am aware that this will fail in certain environments, but in most situations
it gives you an idea of 'where this message came from'.

>>> Angelo

if the events being sent were created and received correctly. Most events (in ACE) are being
sent asynchronously, which makes debugging by setting breakpoints a bit more difficult, as
setting breakpoints in handleEvent() will not reveal the sender.

and the technique to do this is what I wanted to share with you in this e-mail.

on top of EventAdmin. An aspect can intercept all calls to services and in your interceptor
you can still delegate the calls to the original service. Technically, this is being implemented
using service rankings, which means that consumers will automatically react to aspects.

class and a filter condition (null here) we want to create aspects on top of. For each service
that matches the service name and filter, and aspect will be instantiated of the class specified
below. The third parameters is the service ranking for this aspect. This is there because
you can also chain aspects on top of each other. The final option (null here) is the name
of the member that should be injected into the aspect service (null means any member of the
right class).

and then delegates them to the real EventAdmin (which is injected automatically).

in a running production system, you can install a new bundle that adds an aspect on top of
an existing service and you can instantly intercept all calls, and stop or uninstall the bundle
again once you're done.