ace-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: ACE roadmap Jira
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:56:44 GMT
It makes sense. Thx

Regards
JB
-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:39:09
To: <ace-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: ACE roadmap Jira

Hello JB,

The absolute minimum requirement is that we release the sources. I would definitely be in
favor of having a single archive that contains all of them and that can be unpacked and built
with a single command. The result of "building" should at the minimum be a set of OSGi bundles,
but maybe we should also automatically generate some assemblies that can directly be "run".

As binaries, I would like to release two "assemblies", one containing the whole server, the
other containing a target that consists of an OSGi framework and the ACE management agent.
Both must be "unzip and run".

On 30 Jan 2011, at 7:58 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> regarding the release preparation, I think that we need to clean distribution. I think
that the users are a little lost with the current artifact delivery.

I would love to hear what confuses users the most right now, and if the idea mentioned above
would help.

> I'm working of an assembly, embedding Felix/Karaf to provide a runtime deployment platform.

You did see the ones we currently have, (ace-target-devserver and ace-target-devgateway)?

One thing that Angelo is still working on is this one:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-98

That could replace the current target with a small launcher that, using the OSGi 4.2 launching
API can launch any framework you supply, and run it with a management agent. I think that's
the most elegant and simple way of bootstrapping OSGi with ACE.

The server now basically runs on a bare bones OSGi framework. Of course you can deploy a lot
of things alongside, and for the developer we do (things like a shell). Ultimately, the server
could also start out as a target and should be provisionable by a different ACE instance.
Of course you then get into the question "who provisions the first provisioning server" and
for that we need this assembly. :)

> My question is:
> - do we provide several artifacts (Web UI tarball/zip, file server tarball/zip, etc)
or one providing all modules (one tarball/zip with web UI, etc) ?

For one, I would not want to release the "file server" at all. It was more or less an intermediate
step to get ACE up and running and not intended for real use.

The server with web UI and the target I would want to release separately as stated above.