ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ACE roadmap Jira
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:11:17 GMT
Hello JB,

On 27 Jan 2011, at 6:45 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> FYI, I created a Jira brainstorming umbrella to define the ACE roadmap:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-115

> The purpose is to kind in mind our discussions and create child tasks that we will pick
up.

My suggestion for implementing a roadmap would be to define versions in Jira and start assigning
issues to them. That way we can use the "roadmap" feature of Jira to track progress:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

So our first release would be 0.8.0 (for example), and we can start assigning issues to it.

> Feel free to complete it.

In general I feel we should try to cut our first release relatively soon, and try to get into
a rhythm. Therefore in general I think we should look at what's fairly stable now and start
with that.

Another question I have is what we should release. ACE is very modular, and can be assembled
and configured in different ways. On the other hand, a lot of bundles are related. In short
I don't think it makes a lot of sense releasing bundles one by one. I would be in favor of
a single release of all (stable) bundles.

Also, I would like to take the first release as an opportunity to properly baseline all bundle
and package versions, use a version policy that conforms to the one the OSGi Alliance recommends
and only bump versions when things actually change. That means that our next release will
probably contain bundles and packages that will not all be the same. This is very similar
to the OSGi specification itself, that is released as for example 4.2 but contains packages
with versions like 1.3, 1.2, 2.1, etc.

> @Angelo, I know that you're working hard on unit tests, etc. Feel free to append comments
concerning next steps around this topic.

It's mainly integration tests that still need porting, as described in:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-79

From the looks of it, Angelo has already made great progress here! Some help from a Maven
expert would be nice so we can properly hook up the tests.

Greetings, Marcel