ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ACE roadmap
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:54:20 GMT
Hello JB,

On 14 Jan 2011, at 16:21 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> I would like to make a kind of checkpoint and propose an ACE roadmap:
>
> Where we are:
> 1/ We already have a maven build operational for ACE. I would like to make some minor
enhancements on that topic. The "new" website is more clear.

Feel free to contribute. Although the build is fully operational, we still have a collection
of integration tests that need to be migrated. We can take those one at a time as the code
needs to be changed to use Pax Exam instead of the custom Ant based testing framework that
was used.

> 2/ I'm working on kind of "tutorial", beginning with ACE from scratch.

Great!

> Roadmap:
> 3/ Regarding point 2/, the current "getting start" wiki pages are interesting but I think
that a kind of "user guide" is interesting.

> We can use the wiki for that, or, as we have in Karaf or ServiceMix, a manual subproject.
What do you prefer ?

For now I definitely prefer the wiki. I am however aware that Apache is slowly phasing out
Confluence for web site generation. We can still discuss if a user guide is something we need
on the web site (I think so) but probably at some point this year we will have to start looking
at the new Apache CMS for our whole site.

> I will raise a Jira about that and work on it.
> 4/ A demo project could be interesting too, it can be included in the ACE distribution.

Personally, I often use the demo project that is part of Apache Felix (a graphical editor
that allows you to draw different shapes on a canvas) but I would not mind having more demo
projects!

> Once we have more doc and demo materials, and performing some tests during the doc/demo
writing, I propose to prepare a first release.

I agree, we're close to a release. The UI could use some more testing and there are definitely
some corner cases we still need to catch (causing internal errors which disappear after a
"refresh" but are nevertheless annoying). I hope to have some time to look at those myself.

> In the mean time, regarding my previous e-mail, I propose to begin to work on JEE (Kalumet)
stuff in ACE.

Ok.

> My purpose is to include first Kalumet parts in the second ACE release.

That makes sense. I'm looking forward to hear what others think.

Greetings, Marcel