ace-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ACE roadmap Jira
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:58:22 GMT
Hi,

Marcel Offermans  wrote

> My suggestion for implementing a roadmap would be to define versions in Jira and start
assigning issues to them. That way we can use the "roadmap" feature of Jira to track progress:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
>
> So our first release would be 0.8.0 (for example), and we can start assigning issues
to it.

+1

> In general I feel we should try to cut our first release relatively soon, and try to
get into a rhythm. Therefore in general I think we should look at what's fairly stable now
and start with that.

> Another question I have is what we should release. ACE is very modular, and can be assembled
and configured in different ways. On the other hand, a lot of bundles are related. In short
I don't think it makes a lot of sense releasing bundles one by one. I would be in favor of
a single release of all (stable) bundles.

> Also, I would like to take the first release as an opportunity to properly baseline all
bundle and package versions, use a version policy that conforms to the one the OSGi Alliance
recommends and only bump versions when things actually change. That means that our next release
will probably contain bundles and packages that will not all be the same. This is very similar
to the OSGi specification itself, that is released as for example 4.2 but contains packages
with versions like 1.3, 1.2, 2.1, etc.

Makes totally sense - I think it's important that we make it easy to
install and run ACE, which gets us hopefully a lot of interested people
having a look, test driving it etc.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler