ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: How to deploy bundles?
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:02:02 GMT
Hello Dennis,

Like Angelo said, we're transitioning to the new UI at the moment. The move was mostly motivated
by the fact that by choosing Vaadin over GWT we can modularize the UI. That might sound a
bit strange if you know that Vaadin builds on GWT, but basically GWT compiles all your UI
logic to client side javascript, where Vaadin builds on the GWT controls and adds logic that
stays on the server. GWT can only compile all code in one go, which is why it can't be modularized,
as there can be no "contributions" to an existing UI, whereas Vaadin is just Java code running
on the server, so we can easily extend it with services (using the whiteboard pattern for
example to create extension points).

Greetings, Marcel

On 20 Jan 2011, at 13:42 , Dennis Crissman wrote:

> I haven't tried the /ace, but I will give that a go. I actually have read that documentation
before, but the drag and drop doesn't work for me and I will occasionally get an alert with
an error. I will grab a screen shot next time I see it.

> I am running Firefox on XP.
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis Crissman
>
>> Subject: Re: How to deploy bundles?
>> From: angelo.vandersijpt@luminis.eu
>> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:34:13 +0100
>> To: ace-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>
>> You have to use the web ui for that; see http://incubator.apache.org/ace/getting-started-with-the-web-ui-based-server.html
for more information. You can nowadays replace the /webui by /ace to see our still slightly
experimental new UI.

>> Angelo
>>
>> On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:29 AM, Dennis Crissman wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, I can get the server and client standing. Client registered with server and
bundles added in the webui. I can create Features and Distributions.

>>> What I cannot figure out, is how to add a bundle to a feature, distribution,
or client? Could someone explain how this process works?