ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Moving the web UI to Vaadin...
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:34:24 GMT
Hey all,

Some time ago, we started work on a web based UI for ACE based on GWT. Feature wise, GWT is
great, providing a nice web UI that supports things like drag and drop. There are two big
downsides of GWT though:

The first is that the javascript generation is rather slow, making the development cycle when
doing UI updates fairly slow.

The second is that there is no way to modularize the GWT based UI. You always have to compile
it in one go.

In my opinion, Vaadin [1], a toolkit built on top of GWT that is released under the Apache
Licence Version 2.0, solves both issues nicely. I'm seriously considering moving the whole
UI to it. WDYT?

Greetings, Marcel

[1] http://vaadin.com/