ace-dev mailing list archives

From Angelo van der Sijpt <angelo.vandersi...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Moving the web UI to Vaadin...
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:39:53 GMT
I have worked (briefly) with both GWT and Vaadin, and I'd say Vaadin would definitely be the
way to go.

Angelo

On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Some time ago, we started work on a web based UI for ACE based on GWT. Feature wise,
GWT is great, providing a nice web UI that supports things like drag and drop. There are two
big downsides of GWT though:

> The first is that the javascript generation is rather slow, making the development cycle
when doing UI updates fairly slow.

> The second is that there is no way to modularize the GWT based UI. You always have to
compile it in one go.

> In my opinion, Vaadin [1], a toolkit built on top of GWT that is released under the Apache
Licence Version 2.0, solves both issues nicely. I'm seriously considering moving the whole
UI to it. WDYT?