ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Moving the web UI to Vaadin...
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:14:55 GMT
On 13 Oct 2010, at 11:38 , Toni Menzel wrote:

> Yes, i think for a rapidly developed but maintainable and complete
> admin console - like what we need for ace server - Vaadin looks like a
> valid option.
> I would not concider vaadin for middle or large scale web-wide
> deployments though. If Vaadin's radical "all server side - client =
> stupid" approach applies to a usecase then its probably the ace server
> admin ui.

I agree that probably the kind of user interfaces you make with Vaadin don't scale to thousands
of concurrent users, and I also agree with your observation that for ACE this is not a problem
(if we ever *need* that many people administrating ACE, we've done something wrong :) ).

> I am a little concerned why there isn't a well spread OSGi Web Toolkit
> yet. Just because this question pops up regularly and i haven't seen
> an answer yet. Maybe something pops out while ace server ui is being
> implemented with vaadin e.g.

Probably for the same reason there is no well spread Java Web Toolkit (that everybody agrees
upon). UI toolkits come and go, user interfaces are often the most volatile aspects of products
and with lots of innovation in computers and mobile devices, the requirements, trends and
fashions often change. :)

Greetings, Marcel