ace-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Jenson <grahamjen...@maori.geek.nz>
Subject Dependency Resolution questions.
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:59:03 GMT
Hello, some questions from an interested party.

1) I was wondering what method you are using (will use?) for your dependency
resolution?
Eclipse P2 uses SAT4J SAT solver, as I believe Maven will also move to (
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/SAT+Based+Dependency+Resolution).
Nimble from Paramus (http://www.paremus.com/products/products_nimble.html)
uses a custom resolver.

2) What user properties/policies will you allow to let them augment the
resolution process to get the system they want?
What user input can be involved, for instance pinning in APT-GET allows the
ranking of repositories when getting components.

3) Will you also aim for bundle pooling functionality?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Getting_Started#Bundle_pooling
Multiple applications running from the same set of components.

4) a quote from your site :
http://incubator.apache.org/ace/software-architecture.html#SoftwareArchitecture-Domains
"Summing it up, it is important to make sure that you end up deploying sets
of bundles that work together well in the environments in which they're
deployed."
Any ideas on how this can/will be accomplished, giving all the problems that
dependency management can have?

Cheers
Graham