ace-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Haney <txmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Contributing code
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 22:36:13 GMT
Hello.  I have been designing a provisioning and licensing system for our
suite of applications, and I came across ACE which it looks like will give
me a big headstart in implementing these features.  However, I know there
are some requirements that won't be fulfilled by ACE.  For example, we will
need to be able to integrate with a third party licensing system, and also
be able to deploy user-specific configuration data either as property files
or nodes in a JCR repository.  It occurred to me that some of those
capabilities might be useful for other users as well, so I would like to be
able to contribute them back to the community if they are something people
think would be generally useful.

What would be the best way to structure my development environment so that I
can modify ACE as needed to make it work for us, but still be able to easily
commit those changes later?  I've never contributed to an open-source
project before, so maybe there is a standard way to isolate our changes from
the development trunk that I'm not aware of.  Any pointers to documentation
or tips in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike