ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Using Sling's Scheduler?
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:46:54 GMT
On Feb 23, 2010, at 15:07 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>> The "lightweight API" from ACE's point of view could be just the whiteboard pattern:
>> - register a Runnable
>> - add one or more properties that describe to the scheduler when to invoke the Runnable
>>
>> I would also prefer the lightweight implementation to be inside ACE for the moment,
and to treat the API we decide on as an "extended" compendium service (in other words, something
we can share amongst OSGi projects).

> Yepp, I agree - in the end it might not be worth the effort. What about
> simply using the same properties for the whiteboard pattern then?

That makes a lot of sense. Now the maven based build is running and seems to be working, we
can start working on this.

>> It uses the whiteboard pattern to schedule Runnable services either by a
>> cron definition or periodically - so it should be similar to what we
>> have in ACE.
>>
>> Some basic docs are here:
>> http://sling.apache.org/site/scheduler-service-commons-scheduler.html

One of the things we should perhaps do is to put the service in a "project neutral" package.
What about using "org.apache.service" as the base package name (like the OSGi alliance uses
"org.osgi.service") and then creating a subpackage per API, so here "org.apache.service.scheduler"?

Jean-Baptiste also mentioned a scheduler in ServiceMix. Maybe we can have all three use the
same base API?

Greetings, Marcel