ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Using Sling's Scheduler?
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:20:13 GMT
On Feb 18, 2010, at 9:29 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I just noticed that ACE has its own scheduler. What about using Sling's
> scheduler service instead (this would reduce our code base a little
> bit). The sling scheduler service is a bundle without any other
> dependencies.

> It uses the whiteboard pattern to schedule Runnable services either by a
> cron definition or periodically - so it should be similar to what we
> have in ACE.

> Some basic docs are here:
> http://sling.apache.org/site/scheduler-service-commons-scheduler.html

The ACE scheduler is indeed similar to the one in Sling, so technically it should be quite
easy to replace it, and I would be very much in favor of trying to merge the efforts (same
goes for the ServiceMix scheduler, which Jean-Baptiste suggested, but which I did not yet
look at).

I have two concerns though:

1) for the target, as part of our management agent, we want a very very lightweight scheduler,
so I would like to settle on an API that can be implemented as lightweight as our current
scheduler.

2) we need to be able to run this lightweight scheduler on the minimum OSGi execution environment,
because we want our management agent to drop in to any OSGi container (not only Java 5 SE
ones).

So my proposal would be:
a) try to come up with a common scheduler API
b) implement a lightweight version for the target, with minimum EE
c) use the Sling or ServiceMix version on the server (assuming that gives us additional features
that actually add value)

Greetings, Marcel