ace-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Sling's Scheduler?
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:40:26 GMT
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2010, at 9:29 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> I just noticed that ACE has its own scheduler. What about using Sling's
>> scheduler service instead (this would reduce our code base a little
>> bit). The sling scheduler service is a bundle without any other
>> dependencies.
>
>> It uses the whiteboard pattern to schedule Runnable services either by a
>> cron definition or periodically - so it should be similar to what we
>> have in ACE.
>
>> Some basic docs are here:
>> http://sling.apache.org/site/scheduler-service-commons-scheduler.html
>
> The ACE scheduler is indeed similar to the one in Sling, so technically it should be
quite easy to replace it, and I would be very much in favor of trying to merge the efforts
(same goes for the ServiceMix scheduler, which Jean-Baptiste suggested, but which I did not
yet look at).

> I have two concerns though:
>
> 1) for the target, as part of our management agent, we want a very very lightweight scheduler,
so I would like to settle on an API that can be implemented as lightweight as our current
scheduler.

> 2) we need to be able to run this lightweight scheduler on the minimum OSGi execution
environment, because we want our management agent to drop in to any OSGi container (not only
Java 5 SE ones).

> So my proposal would be:
> a) try to come up with a common scheduler API
> b) implement a lightweight version for the target, with minimum EE
> c) use the Sling or ServiceMix version on the server (assuming that gives us additional
features that actually add value)

Ok, I see your concerns and agree that the sling scheduler is not the
best solution for the target then :)

What about using the sling scheduler "api" for server and target and we
add a lightweight implementation to Sling. We can then use the same
"api" and deploy the full version on the server and the light on the target.

WDYT?
Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler